Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Quality vs Quantity of Life

I'm not in the health care field.
I believe in the quality of life not the quantity. My father was in an accident that left him paralyzed, he didn't want to live on machines. He did not have a living will. I tried to respect his wishes but was not able to because of other family members so instead of dying in a few days he suffered for 10 months not being capable of doing any of the things he was looking forward to do in his retirement. That in my mind was causing harm to a person. That is prolonging life just because we have the technology to do so. It doesn't help anyone in my mind. I wouldn't want to live brain damaged or paralyzed or many other ways. However that's me and I am aware of the legalities involved.
I can't understand why religions which promise a heaven for a good decent life here on earth would rather keep a person alive and suffering rather then letting them go to their reward. Or is it that they're not sure there's a heaven?
The other thing that upsets me greatly is that prisoners, illegal immigrants and the poor get free medical care for almost anything yet if you have a home a bank account or anything like that they take it from you. What's the point in being "cured" if you have no place to live and no money to live on. You work all your life to have something to retire to and leave to your kids and it's taken from you. Yet your taxes pay for these other peoples care and you're left with nothing. Taxpayers should have all their medical bills paid for at age 65 and never have to worry about losing a thing. Actually a US citizen taxpayer should never have to give up a home or bank account or anything like that for medical care no matter what their age. I mean federal Senators and Congressmen our "Public Servants" get that benefit after 1 term in office at any age. Why shouldn't the people who are paying for it get the same when they retire or become to ill to work or can't afford the treatments?
Time to start taking back our country.

No comments: