Monday, March 17, 2008

Misplaced Generosity



Bikers have been shown to be an extremely generous group in all the different forms of media these days. I wouldn’t dispute it one bit. Show them a worthy cause and they are out there lining up and revving their engines to support it this in it’s self is a good thing, however I feel a little prioritizing of the charities maybe in order.

If the charity is one that is near and dear to your heart or that of a loved one or friend by all means support it. If you’re just looking for a ride that weekend and not particular on what charity event you support might I suggest the following criteria to help you in your choice. Does the event support bikers, a downed brother or sister benefit, a club party, a ride for the rights organization in your state these would be first on my list to go to. Second on my list would be veteran benefit rides, animal rescue or rides for a specific hospital or care center. If none of these were going on that weekend I would just ride with some friends.

You’ve probably caught on that I do not support any of the large national rides. My reason for this is that I read an article years ago stating that only 5 to 10 cents on every dollar you donate goes to the actual cause the other 90 to 95 cents goes for administrative costs, 6 figure salaries for the head honcho’s, the rest for large staffs, (they only use volunteers at the very local level) advertising, tee shirts and other give-a ways, the entertainment at the end. To me that’s not good use of my money. The events that I listed first I feel sure donate all the money that is left over after the expenses of the run to the charity it was designed for which is hopefully more then 75 cents on the dollar, that is a good use of my money.

There are exceptions to all things and as far a large charities go a donation to the Salvation Army from what I remember 75 to 80 cents out of every dollar goes to help the people it is intended for.

Another charity event that I personally know of gives 100% of every dollar to the intended people and this event is the CMRA Toy Run, which happens the first Sunday in October. The reason I know that 100% goes to the children via the toys is because the bikers buy their own toy and donate it, there is no charge to go on the run all expenses are borne by the CMRA.

Please don’t stop being as generous as you have been, but be a little more selective in where you donate your hard earned dollars. Contact the charities prior to making your decision ask them for a financial sheet that shows how your dollar is distributed then make your decision.

Everyone out there wants your money but remember if it’s near and dear to your heart that’s number 1. Then support other bikers, followed by charities where the bulk of your dollar goes to the cause you want to help.


Ride Free, Safe and Generously this Year,

Bonz

No comments: